Walk of Honor History
The Walk of Honor began with an idea for the 1987 Alumni Association President Kenneth Ardoin. A groundbreaking was held in 1990 as part of the University's Homecoming celebration.
View the story from the 1990 L'Acadien yearbook.
The class years 1903 through 1997 were funded strictly through donations and private sources. Beginning with the Class of 1998, students assessed themselves a brick fee as part of their graduation requirements. This action secured the future of the Walk of Honor.
Between 1987 and 2000 key alumni leaders who helped the Walk of Honor progress were volunteers Jim Doyle and Robert Trahan. Many of the bricks that are currently laid on the walkway were placed during that time period.
In 2013, the student-designed Quad makeover began, which included installing thousands of more bricks. At this point, the inscribed terracotta pavers were replaced with bricks.