What is the AFA?
Founded in 1994, the Association of Future Alumni (AFA) is a chapter of the Alumni Association and student organization and our mission is to:
- Strengthen the ties of loyalty between students and the University of Louisiana at Lafayette
- Connect students with alumni to enrich the student and alumni experience
- Create a culture of philanthropy among current students
AFA members have opportunities to network with University alumni, create campus-wide events and develop professional leadership skills.
Who can apply?
Current undergraduate and graduate students who:
- have completed at least 30 credit hours as an undergraduate or 9 credit hours as a graduate student
- maintain at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA
- are in good standing with the University
- attend monthly meetings on the first Tuesday of each month at 6:00 p.m.
How do AFA members serve the University?
- AFA members serve as student ambassadors focusing on two important roles of Engagement or Philanthropy.
- The Engagement role of the AFA is to provide direct networking between the current student population and the alumni of the university. This could be in at an event, panel discussion, or a one to one mentorship.
- The Philanthropy role of the AFA is to provide education to the current student population on the importance of giving to your university as an undergraduate.
- work directly with division of Advancement staff, current students, faculty and alumni to create a culture of philanthropy on campus and within the community by participating in donor tours, alumni visits and solicitation activities with current students.
- provide a minimum of 10 hours each semester of office assistance in the Alumni Association with projects and activity development to further the organization’s mission.
- Duties include: presentations to student groups and campus organizations; event set-up and breakdown; communication with key university stakeholders during events and tours; direct solicitation of students through multiple channels; and administrative tasks (including mailings and phone calls).
What are the benefits of being an AFA member?
AFA members are rewarded with professional networking opportunities with alumni and donors, the development of sought-after workplace skills and being change agents for the current and future UL Lafayette student experience.